Friday, June 30, 2006

The Big Happy by Scott Mebus

I know I said Brave New world was going to be my next book but I went on vacation and wanted to read something real light that I could finish while i was there. this is that kind of book it really is the guy version of chick lit or how its known "dick lit". the story is real simple David was a sucessful emmy award wininng producer who after getting his heart broken decides to chuck it all become a writer and find the"big Happy" . as you might have guessed this is impossible to find because really life obviously is not all ups there is also some downs. I did enjoy this book but i had a lot of trouble loving it. You see I really like Nick Hornby he is probably my favorite author for me his books are copmfort food in a way.He does not write "great literature" but he can tell a story and really get you into his character's heads. the one thing he really does better than Mebus does here is make pop references. That may be partly because Hornby is English and there is that slightly exotic almost more cosmopolitin references to things like afternoon quiz shows. Mebus's attempts really came off clumsy and awkward at times I really wish he spent more time with the relationship portions and conversations then what song he was playing as a wedding DJ. I hate sounding like i didn't enjoy the experience of reading this because i did I wouldn't have finished this book if I didn't like reading it it is just that it could hvae been so much better. On a side note I just found out that this book is a sequel in a way to another book called Booty Nomad so i guess I have to read that at some point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home