Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Brave New World By Adlous Huxley

Let me start off by saying I read this about a week ago I held off on writing this post because I wanted to do more research on the time of Huxley in order to fully get an apreciation of the book. Huxley actually taught Orwell at Eaton and every essay I've read about Brave New World feels the need to compare the two works. I read 1984 a long time ago I was much younger than and I really was taken aback by it I read the whole book in one sitting. As a story it flows and is easier to relate to than Huxley's book. Huxley's book is ultimately more true in so foar as what has come to pass. Brave New World describes a society being lulled by its government with pleasure, drugs and sex. that is kind of what really surprised me the most this book was writen in 1931 yet there are very distinct sexual references and yet a prudish atitude. The more challenging and rewarding thinking that came for me out of Brave New World was the way Governments take over not with a show of force (although curiously there are secret police at the very end) not at all they take over by distracting you and feeding every indulgance until you are almost a child and do not even know you are being oppressed and this is done in the name of your safety. Sound familiar not to get on a soapbox but we are in a bad of a situation in America as we have ever been in my lifetime where are the protests against an extremely unpopular war and our freedoms being coopted on a daily basis by Coraparate America . ill tell you where watching American Idol or reading In Style. 1984 is a fun read and an easy story with real bad guys and good guys but Brave New World is ultimately more rewarding desptite some of the silly propaganda ("Our Ford") that has not aged as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home