Friday, January 05, 2007

Love Is A Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield

This book is one of the reasons I started my Blog. I would most likely forget it within a couple of weeks. I would try to remember what was that book I read and really dug. This book's concept is very simple but not gimmicky every chapter is a mix tape from Sheffield's life and in the meantime tells you the story of his marriage and wife's death at an early age. I saw this book and chose it because I like Sheffield's writing in Rolling Stone. it reminds me of Chuck Klosterman and Nick hornby in a way because of the pop culture references and musical touchstones. This book while slim definitely stands on its own. The love story at the center of it is extremely moving because of its personal nature. I was reminded of Didion's book My Year of Maggical Thinking only because of the theme. The difference between the two books is Didion's book was more imediate and cathartic it really felt like it was therapy and something she had to write. I don't know Sheffield but after reading this book I kind of felt like I did. I don't know if Rob was in any kind of place emotionally to write about his wife's death right afterwards. I know I wouldn't be if my wife passed. She is my best friend and knows me better than anyone else this book more than any others really helped me rember and apreciate that. That is why I rite this blog to remind myself of that relationship a book and I have even if it is for such a short time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home